Thursday, December 10, 2015

Letter to Daphnis by Anne Finch

This is a poem I wrote about my husband. When I met my husband at the court, he instantly fell in love with me. I resisted his affections at first, but then I fell for him just as hard. Ever since, he’s been a main source of inspiration for my poems such as this one. I have a large collection of love poems for my Heneage.
 
A Letter to Daphnis
By  Anne Finch, Countess of Winchilsea  
This to the crown and blessing of my life,
The much loved husband of a happy wife;
To him whose constant passion found the art
To win a stubborn and ungrateful heart,
And to the world by tenderest proof discovers
They err, who say that husbands can’t be lovers.
With such return of passion as is due,
Daphnis I love, Daphnis my thoughts pursue;
Daphnis my hopes and joys are bounded all in you.
Even I, for Daphnis’ and my promise’ sake,
What I in women censure, undertake.
But this from love, not vanity, proceeds;
You know who writes, and I who ’tis that reads.
Judge not my passion by my want of skill:
Many love well, though they express it ill;
And I your censure could with pleasure bear,
Would you but soon return, and speak it here.

Finch, Anne. “A Letter to Daphnis.” Poetry Foundation. Poetry Foundation. n.d. Web.10 Dec. 2015
 


No comments:

Post a Comment